As children’s first and most important teachers, families have a major role to play in motivating children to read during the summer months. There are many strategies families might employ to encourage summertime reading:
- Combine activities with books.
- Visit the library.
- Lead by example.
- Talk it up.
- Help kids find time to read.
- Relax the rules for summer.
- Have plenty of reading material around.
- Use books to break the boredom.
- Read aloud with kids.
Source: Reading is Fundamental
Available at: http://www.rif.org/us/literacy-resources/articles/what-can-families-do-to-keep-children-reading-during-the-summer.htm